Thursday, March 3, 2011

I hate it when you go follow up on an interview and they say...

"Oh, hi Mike. If we haven't called you back yet that means at this time we have decided to go in a different direction." -assistant manager, secretary, or even host (i'm applying for restaurant gigs right now).

This reminds me of a similar response I would hear several years ago, "oh! Hi mike, I really like you, buuuut i just want to be friends." -cute 15 year old girl who sits front row in Algebra.

But the 15 year girl is not a grown up. A 35 year old man needs to learn how to talk to people and not be such a female anatomy word. While trying to sound professional and non-rejection-like you come off arrogant and unempathitic. Be a man and say, "Dude, I'm sorry. We didn't pick you. Deal with it. or try again later." I can connect with that.

"Mike, thanks for having the stones to ask me out. I respect you for that. Most boys your age just make fun of girls when the like them. But unfortunately Mike, I'm just a little out of your league. Don't worry, keep at it. I bet in 10 years you will be awesome, I'll marry Johnny Football. He will have a drinking problem and I will have trucker hips."

No comments:

Post a Comment